Monday, July 20, 2009

Perfect Weekend

I am truly easy to please. My perfect weekend? Friday night P came over for pizza, MST3K's Zombie Nightmare (with Adam West!), and Phase 10 with The Boy and me. We listened to the radio cursed one another for playing Skip cards and winning hands, and acted generally goofy and had a great time. C and I used to play Phase 10 with our friends all the time before and just after we got married, and I think that if Bjork or Morrisey had come on the radio Friday night I would have been crushed under the weight of some great time warp, but thankfully I was spared.

Saturday I got groceries early, so I nearly had the whole store to myself, and a lovely bagger boy helped me load the groceries into my car. The Boy unloaded them. I felt like The Rich must feel on a regular basis, and thought briefly of my recurring rich and loving-but-not-clingy husband daydream.

I did a bit of housework, lazed, knitted, watched the eminently unsatisfying remake of Yours, Mine, and Ours with The Boy, got my hair cut and colored (so far overdue that I was starting to want to wear a ski hat in July), and then took The Boy and my nephew to my parents' for general porch sitting and playing in their huge yard.

Yesterday I took The Boy and another kid to a birthday party (they are starting to turn thirteen: The Year of the Bar and Bat Mitzvahs starts in a few weeks), and repaid myself for the drive to the wretched suburb with a trip to Half-Price Books, which just happened to be in the strip mall adjacent to the party's mini-golf course. I didn't find a SINGLE book I was looking for--I have Charlaine Harris Mania now, and would like to read her other series, and I was hoping against hope that someone would have read and discarded the newest Maisie Dobbs, which I've listened to but want to read/own because I have all the others. I was looking for a few other things too, but I couldn't find a single one. So I bought a copy of Cloud Atlas for a dollar, and then cleaned up in the DVDs. I got the first season of King of the Hill, the first season of Veronica Mars, the second season of Angel, and The Scorpion King (I love The Rock--sue me).

Add those scores to the fact that I picked up Gillian Flynn's new book, Dark Places, at the library, and it's great so far (Libby, the main character, is mean, nasty, bitter, and refreshingly unashamed to be so), AND the fact that I finished the back of the sweater I'm knitting, and it was just a really great weekend. The perfect mix of work, play, and lazy. Hooray!


I've never come this far on such an involved knitting project--I'm so proud!


Look! I've had that stitch holder for years, and never used it before last night!

No comments: