Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Does it Still Count?

C and I just wished one another a happy 14th wedding anniversary. We figure that since neither one of us regrets the marriage (who can regret years of happiness, plus the extra special bonus gift of The Boy), we might as well acknowledge the day happily. True, we aren't married anymore, but sometimes I think we like each other more than many married couples do. Hmm . . . maybe he'll even buy me something shiny for our 20th? He *does* like shopping, and he has great taste.

I have been doing very little lately, which is okay by me. I'm working on a delightful summer cold, I think, and tearing through Sookie Stackhouse novels. I think I'm on the 5th, and I have the 6th ready in my bag in case I finish while I'm away from home. I'm also listening to the newest Maisie Dobbs book, Among the Mad. I'll buy the novel once it's out in paperback, because I like the series very much, but it's making for a good listen--an excellent knitting companion.

I am working on a sweater for my mom. I abandoned the socks I started for The Boy, because I am incapable of dealing with those tiny freaking sticks and the wretched string--it takes too long, and I guess I'm much too impatient. Maybe someday. The sweater is going well, though. Here's a pic of the back. I have about three more inches of stockinette to go before I move along to arms.


I had to figure out how to do a provisional cast-on for the hem, which I think looks great. I found the pattern on the Mason-Dixon Knitting site. I have their first book, and I love it, and this pattern seems pretty lovable so far--it's called The Perfect Sweater, and if it works out, it could be my new best friend. We'll see. I promised The Boy I'd make him a Harry Potter-style scarf in his school colors next.

Speaking of The Boy, he's at a soccer camp at his school every morning this week. The school is just about three miles from our house, in a very nice neighborhood. There is another very nice neighborhood between ours and the school's. I have been letting The Boy leave camp, walk into the middle neighborhood for lunch, library, browsing at the store that sells video games, etc. He calls to keep in touch, but he pretty much has free reign. I'm comfortable with it, and glad he feels comfortable doing it--he's going to be in 7th grade, after all, so he's not a little kid anymore.

Do you know, though, that there's only one other kid in his grade who's allowed to join him? One kid was allowed to go on a school trip to the rain forests in Costa Rica for two weeks, but he's not allowed to spend an unsupervised afternoon roaming his own neighborhood. I just don't get it.

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

Free Range Kids! Free Range Kids! Yay!

BabelBabe said...

said with the zeal of the newly converted...