Monday, December 7, 2009

Lost Weekend

No, I didn’t get tanked and wake up wearing snow shoes in Tahiti with no idea how or why. That’d make for a pretty good blog entry though, wouldn’t it? Instead, I found myself lost without the constant, comforting voice of Davina Porter reading to me on my iPod. I’ve grown so used to listening to her read the Outlander books that I found I honestly couldn’t settle into a task without her. I tried listening to music, and then to Mike Birbiglia’s first comedy album, but nothing worked. I ended up reading while I walked on my treadmill (Margaret Drabble’s The Millstone, which is interesting but not quite as engrossing as I’d like it to be), and then it got so bad that I nearly downloaded the book I’m waiting for—the 4th one in the series, which I’d ordered ahead of time from the library but had to REORDER because I’d accidentally requested the ABRIDGED version, and WHY DO THEY EVEM MAKE THOSE? Anyway, I didn’t buy the audio book because it’s like $70. Granted, it’s 900 CDs, but still.

So! I was lost this weekend. Knitting was all wrong. I couldn’t clean or bake properly. Trips in the car were silent, because I WANTED MY STORY, and nothing else would do. The library is telling me it’s in transit, and I’m so glad! I have WORK to do!

In a positive development, though, the library’s lag time gave me another opportunity to recognize that my son is awesome. He was playing Assassin's Creed 2 last night, and the main character had to take part in a series of contests to win a golden mask (the game takes place in Renaissance Italy, and is essentially just like the early games in the Harry Potter series—tasks, puzzles, quests, and achievements all serving the narrative arc of the game’s story—only this story involves a character who travels back in time to try and kill various bad guys in an attempt to end a war that’s going on in the present). The Boy was playing and I was trying to knit while getting sucked into his story, since I couldn’t have my own, when he realized that women weren't taking part in the competition for the mask. He said, "What? Women aren't allowed to play?" I said, "OF COURSE NOT! THE WIMMINZ CAN'T DO ANYTHING," and without missing a beat he said, "Except look pretty and have babies." I high-fived him. He understands sarcasm and sexism, and . . . I've obviously done my job. Motherhood Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

The Author said...

Does the awesomeness of the Boy know no BOUNDS?? :D

Also: I understand the _medical necessity_ of The Voice Of The Audiobook Reader In Your Series once you become addicted, I really do. I downloaded the newest "Monk" book (read by the awesome audiobook reader Laura Hicks) for my trip to visit the Bro a couple of months ago, and that went so well that I downloaded a second one, and now I can't seem to stop listening to them. Not ALL the time -- but if I'm walking the dog or doing chores or knitting, yeah, it's gotta be on. I'm holding out hope that Audible keeps putting them up, because there's only three from Hicks up so far and MY ADDICTION IS GOING TO REQUIRE MORE THAN THAT. XD

Anonymous said...

Huzzah! It's here! The library hasn't sent the e-mail yet, but I just checked my account information online and IT'S HERE! I can now go get it, and resume my regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.