Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hermit the Hog

See what I did up there? I'm not fair to myself, because while it's true that I'm overweight, the last few days have presented me with major workouts, so I'm probably lighter despite all the eating I've done over the last few days. Lasagna. Real pudding with real whipped cream. Apple cake. Pizza. And breakfasts of the lumberjack variety.

Why so much food? We're a little but snowed in. Record-setting snows and all that. My driveway was filled with more than two feet of snow, and it took hours and hours and hours of digging. My arms and shoulders ought to be buff any minute now. Like Venus Williams buff. My hands ache from gripping the shovel and the hammer, which I had to employ to chip away at the ton of snow and ice left banked up in front of the driveway. Thanks for that, Mr. Plow. There is snow EVERYWHERE, and not a place to put it.

Those aren't bushes covered in snow--that's ivy ground cover hanging over a retaining wall; the snow is that deep on the ground. And it's still snowing!

The city is a total mess, and people are apoplectic because they can't get out of their homes. I'm lucky, in that I can leave if I need to--and I can walk to the grocery store --but I haven't had to leave because the city requested that the university where I work REMAIN CLOSED. I haven't been to work since I left early Friday afternoon, and I am enjoying the hell out of this unexpected vacation. Books, DVDs, baking, playing Nerf basketball in the living room . . . I seriously don't care if I never leave the house again. The Boy's school has already canceled for tomorrow, but I haven't heard anything yet. It's snowing again, so my fingers are crossed.

I was born to be a hermit. Truly.

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

i'd be perfectly happy if I didn't have to contend with all my kids and my husband : )