Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Not Even One Way to Skin a Cat: A Play in One Act

My cat Benny is going to be the death of me:

Scene: 4:40am. Shirty is sound asleep, snuggled deep into her covers. Benny creeps in, leaps onto the bed, drops his favorite finger puppet near her face, and then starts scratching/poking her to get her to wake up and throw the puppet for him to fetch.

Benny: Mom! Mom! Wake up! Hey! My puppet! I brought my puppet! Mom! Throw my puppet! Let's play! Hey Mom! Puppet! Throw my puppet!

Shirty: . . . ? . . .

Benny: MOM! I HAVE BROUGHT MY PUPPET FOR YOUR THROWING PLEASURE! PLEASE STOP WITH THE SLEEPING AT PLAY WITH ME. IT IS QUITE RUDE TO IGNORE MY PUPPET. WHICH I BROUGHT. FOR YOU TO THROW.

Shirty: (Flings puppet out her bedroom door, into the hallway.)

Benny: (Leaps to retrieve puppet. Returns seconds later.) MOM! MOM! . . .

Repeat until the alarm goes off at 6am, scaring Benny away temporarily.

I am SO TIRED! And I'm sure Benny is sound asleep. With his puppet. On my bed.

Rest assured that I will be hiding the puppet before I go to sleep tonight.

2 comments:

The Author said...

"IT IS QUITE RUDE TO IGNORE MY PUPPET. WHICH I BROUGHT. FOR YOU TO THROW."


I don't know if it's something in the air this week or what, but we are apparently just not allowed to sleep. :P

I banished Charlie* to the living room last night, because I knew, if I was asleep, or about to be asleep, and she woke me up, I'd have to kill her, and no one wants that. So, y'know, I feel your pain, here.

That bit I quoted really made me laugh, though. :D


* My dog, for anyone who may not know.

Badger said...

Hang on a minute. You have a cat that FETCHES? I don't even know what's real anymore, man.