Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Soliciting Opinions

My new house was built in 1950, and had one owner for nearly all its life. The little old Italian lady and her late husband took excellent care of the place, and so much of the stuff is original. The woodwork is all intact and unpainted, the interior doors are all solid wood with glass knobs, and the kitchen cabinets are the original maple. I've been thinking of trying to stay true to the house's original look--at least as far as is practical and comfortable--and one way I can do that is with vintage 50s wallpaper.

I'm going to show you an admittedly lame photo of the kitchen--it's one I took with my phone the first time I was in looking at the place--so you can see the (tiny!) size, shape, and tile, and then ask which (if any) of the five wallpapers I like might work. (I found the wallpapers at Hannah's Treasures.)



Can you see the tile? (Also, check out that beast of a stove!)

Let me know what you think . . .







The paper will only go in the two places you can see in the photo and on the wall that's immediately to the right of where I was standing. (Does that even make sense?) If you think these are all ugly and I'm an idiot who should just paint, let me know that too . . .

6 comments:

That One said...

Let me say first that I like all the papers you chose. Now for my solicited opinion:

I love the top paper the most. If you're concerned about it being too busy or dark for your kitchen then I'd choose the bottom paper. How much natural light does the kitchen get?

GREAT maple cabinets, by the way. :)

BabelBabe said...

i like the middle paper best.
too cute.
cant wait to see it!

Badger said...

I can't really see the tile, but if you think all those papers would "go" then I believe you. That being said, I LOVE the top one, and I like the bottom one very much. The others, meh.

Suse said...

I like the middle one too. *So* 1950s!

The Author said...

The bottom one would probably _match_ best, IMHO -- but oh, my gawd, I love the pineapple one! YOU MUST WALLPAPER YOUR KITCHEN IN PINEAPPLE!!! ;-D

Twisted Susan said...

Use whatever paper you like as long as you PAINT those cabinets.