Monday, November 3, 2008

Korny, Happy & Jaws

Sounds like a children's book, doesn't it? The Steelers are playing the Redskins in tonight's Monday Night Football game, which means I will spend three hours putting up with these three:



The Boy and I call Mike Tirico Happy, because the smile never leaves his face.



This is Ron Jaworski, AKA Jaws. Much to my surprise, I sort of like him. He knows what's going on (of course they all do, even Mr. Crazy Mumbles, John Madden) and he knows how to talk about it in a way that makes me able to understand and learn something, without feeling like I'm being talked down to. He does tend to get on my nerves a bit, but not nearly as much as this guy:



Tony Kornheiser drives me absolutely bananas. He's a sportswriter, not a former player, which in theory might be a good thing, as he might be able to discuss the game in ways us mere mortals might better relate to. His writing skills, however, (specifically, the fact that he tends to speak the way he writes) make him all wrong for broadcast. He tends to speak in a flowery, poetic, fanboy way that reads well on paper but makes me want to kick him the moment I hear his voice.

I don't usually watch MNF because it's on ESPN and I don't have cable anymore, but Disney graciously allows ABC affiliates to simulcast home games, which means I'll be spending the evening with Happy, Jaws, and Korny. Sigh.

Sometimes it's hard to be a fan.

PS--Notice that I didn't mention the MNF women: BECAUSE THEY MAKE ME SAD. I'm all for ladies being involved in football if they want to be, and I'm very much for knowledgeable women getting a chance to discuss the game, but . . . these people are relegated to standing on the field (often in bad weather, either wearing really girly hats or getting their over-sprayed hair blown around in odd masses), talking to players and coaches who usually don't want to be bothered. And then the fellas in the booth ignore them and do their best to pretend the whole thing never happened.

Creepy, wrong, resentful, and very poorly done. Boo.

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

i feel the exact same way about the stupid women they throw into hockey commentating. If you want someone to ask Malkin intelligent questions about the game, ask me. Or some woman like me, someone who genuinely loves the game and knows something about it. And who uses less than a can of Aquanet every morning. Someone who can skate for Christ's sake, who might have an effing clue. Yeah. pet peeve. Sorry : )

Anonymous said...

I truly believe they choose women who can be easily dismissed, as that gives them the best of both worlds. They can say they're inclusive, and then they can roll their eyes at the chicks who get the jobs. Jerks.