Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vacation: Porch View U

I am on vacation this week, and so far I am living like I did in college, minus all the beer and smoking. The Boy's best friend J is here--my favorite kid in the world that I'm not related to--and J, The Boy, and I have been hanging out in the living room since Sunday night. We've watched some movies and many episodes of South Park, and I have been reading while they play video games.

We also played football in the front yard. I wouldn't bother telling you this, but it made my day today, because a guy walked by as we were playing (I was QB, J was the receiver, and The Boy was defending, flopping around in his best imitation of Troy Polamalu), and he asked the boys whether I was their mom. The Boy answered that I was, and the guy said, "Man, that was a good pass!" The boys were appropriately impressed. :-)

We watched Die Hard this afternoon. I haven't seen it since it came out, and I've never seen any of the sequels, but I have to say that it's an excellent example of what an action movie should be.


You've got your charismatic hero, lots of snappy lines, a smart and kindly sidekick, chases, fires, explosions, derring-do, general violence, and a spectacular villain.


Oh, Alan Rickman. I'll take your Hans Gruber any day.

The only thing that dates this movie (besides the horrible hair on the women) is the fact that the hero, John McClane, fights FOR the big corporation. I think now the hero would probably fight with the guys who are sick of the big corporation's greed.

It's been a great vacation so far, but I'm promising myself that I'll get some work done tomorrow. I want to go through some old clothes, hem some curtains, paint my bedroom, and continue my quest for flooring to replace my god-awful carpeting. It'll be nice to care care of business, but I'll miss living in the dorms.

No comments: